Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Lime Bitters

So we've been doing a bit of cocktailing lately. Or rather moving on from our comfortable Classic Martini, Gin & Tonic, and Whiskey Sour when-we-want-a-cocktail routine and getting better acquainted with the Manhattan, the Old Fashioned, and the Negroni (as a start). Yeah, I'm still a 2nd level Cocktailist, but my AC and saving throw against cocktail ignorance are coming up. I thank you. Part of my investigations into quality cocktails has been a lot of reading up on bitters, the patent medicine-style infusions and tinctures that are used to add depth and dimension to cocktails. Angostura and Peychaud's are examples of classic aromatic bitters and there are a ton of contemporary bitters producers replicating long lost commercial examples; orange bitters, celery bitters, etc. So, in keeping with the current "F*ck it, I'll make my own" motif that I've been operating under I've decided to make my own bitters. After I've already stocked up on Angostura, Peychaud's, and Regan's Orange Bitters, of course. So I decided to start with lime bitters, "I don't know, maybe it'll turn out OK and we can use it in G&T's". Now ""Regans' Orange Bitters No.6"" is out on the internet so I used that as a starting point and replaced the orange component with fresh lime. That was a week ago and OMFG!!! this sh*z is teh deelizious!!! I'm never buying commercial bitters again. Just having the ingredients on hand putting this batch together has given me enough insight that an excellent aromatic bitters is right around the corner. Thank you Mr. Angostura, thank you Mr. Peychaud, but your services will no longer be required.

No comments: